CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 9, 2009

Re: Colossal U Ad Campaign

I too have witnessed this ad campaign many times when I'm on the TTC on my way to school and back. And every single time I see it, I always stop and think about what it meant. These ads can really mess with someone's brain if they're in the process of choosing a university or college. Still having some time left in high school, I thought Colossal U had some qualities that might want to make me enroll there. If given some closer thought, you'd think that advertisements always tell the public how great something is, or how not great its competitors are. But this was definitely different. The message here can be always be thought of as somewhat a good thing. I mean, "Every Colossal U Student Will Turn Out Exactly the Same. We Guarantee It." can be a great thing if they meant that each student was going to turn out successful there. But in reality, not everybody has the same potential to do so. And the idea of being assigned a number isn't too bad either (at least everyone gets treated evenly). So when I decide to do some more research on this (partially because of this media course as well), I found out that this university was something made up by going to their webpage. Instead, a woman just shows up and talks about how Algoma University does the exact opposite of what Colossal U does. It took me a while to figure this out, but Algoma was the one who came up with these ads. It's actually a brilliant idea, now that I think of it. Advertising a supposedly bad university, to allow more people to Google up Colossal U. Whoever at Algoma came up with this scheme must be a great psychology student/teacher. It might just encourage me to go there, despite the far travel.

0 comments: